Monthly Affirmation

may I be I is the only prayer - not may I be great or good or beautiful or wise or strong. ~e.e. cummings

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tasty


Amazingly it is a lot simpler than it looks ... well not the meal but sure the meal. Essentially this one is just a salad, turkey meatballs in a Cabernet marinara sauce (extra garlic) with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Tasty ... super low carb content, good protein and good fats. But what I am going back to is what my nutritionist, after the strokes, had me doing. It always made me feel healthy. It is just two good handfuls of salad (I prefer a herb salad with flavorful greens ... this one was what was on sale and my budget for groceries was super tight and not my favorite) and then protein. I fleshed this meal out with the sauce to add a few more carbs to get my quota for the day of healthy ones.

I like eating like this though. Salad and protein. For lunch it was chicken breast with herb greens and broccoli with a little bit of cheddar on top. Simple. Fulfilling. Good for me. I like eating like this.

I spent some time talking to Nathan and Raymond today at work. Both have done remarkable things for weight loss and both have not had nearly as far to go as I do but everyone finds their own way. Nathan did his through a shake and banana for breakfast, a 90 calorie bar snack, shake and fruit for lunch, 90 calorie snack and healthy choice dinner. Twice a week he allowed himself to enjoy, once at the weekly Tuesday team lunch (not over indulge but enjoy) and once on Sat or Sun with the family out for a meal. Raymond is taking the Jenny Craig approach.

I find that I cannot do that routine. I need to have the ability to chose. Same thing every day would drive me batty. So I am truly enjoying the course of simple breakfast (no grains), low carb snack, salad and protein lunch (it can be flounder, salmon, tilapia, beef, chicken, pork, eggs ... whatever I want it to be), protein shake or snack in afternoon and then veg/salad and protein for dinner. I am feeling clean again. Feeling like I did when I followed my nutritionists advice. Not all the way though ... she was totally restrictive on dairy and fats ... we all need some healthy fats in our day.

Enough of my rambling. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." – Buddha