Face - Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
Arms - Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
Speech - Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence. Are the words slurred? Can he/she repeat the sentence correctly?
Time - If the person shows any of these symptons then time is important. Call 911 or get to the hosptial fast. Brain cells are dying.
- SUDDEN numbness or weakness of face, arm or leg - especially on one side of the body.
- SUDDEN confusion, trouble speaking or understanding.
- SUDDEN trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
- SUDDEN trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- SUDDEN severe headache with no known cause.
Call 9-1-1 immediately if you have any of these symptomsNote the time you experienced your first symptom. This information is important to your healthcare provider and can affect treatment decisions.
If you have experienced any of these symptoms, you may have had a TIA or mini-stroke.