Monthly Affirmation

may I be I is the only prayer - not may I be great or good or beautiful or wise or strong. ~e.e. cummings

Sunday, January 3, 2010

catharsis

a : purification or purgation of the emotions (as pity and fear) primarily through art
b : a purification or purgation that brings about spiritual renewal or release from tension
c : elimination of a complex by bringing it to consciousness and affording it expression

I needed what just happened.  At first I thought i had made a mistake ... but it was not.  I was so craving a cleansing shower and so I got home from a frustrating day of work. Drug suitcase up stairs and decided screw everything else and I am taping a trash bag to my cast and enjoying some hot water.

NOT.

So I try but unsuccessfully to take a shower. The frustration began when I whacked my cast arm into the wall, then how do I put shampoo from a bottle into the hand that is holding it, then the slap daddy of issues .... how the hell do I clean my right arm with my right hand. Oh Lord you are seriously humbling me. So I gave up and upon climbing out realized I had just as many issues with toweling dry. Plus the humidity of the bag on the arm created moisture under the wrappings which in turn resulted in a mad mad itching.

That was it. The emotions of the last 36 hours that I had been keeping in check won and I fought the tears and total full body sobs for a few (cos they freaking hurt the arm) until I thought no ... let it go. A good 25-30 minutes of uncontrollable crying ends up having a cathartic effect. Accept that you are only human, realize your limitations and begin to find solutions.

I am a mere mortal faced with the daily challenges of this life from strokes to weight to heart to mind to a broken arm and a leg that is jacked up and I will be limited with what I can do. But I can control what I can and work out resolutions for some of my issues.

1 comment:

  1. I love you dear. If any good ideas come to me, I'll pass them on to you. Wish I could be there to help. I am glad you let the frustration out.

    ReplyDelete

.

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." – Buddha