Monthly Affirmation

may I be I is the only prayer - not may I be great or good or beautiful or wise or strong. ~e.e. cummings

Friday, January 8, 2010

Verdict is what I thought ...

amputation is necessary .... NOT.

People if you have not garnered some of my sick sense of humor by now it is time to learn. I will give you the worst even though I do not believe it to be true so that when the truth unfolds it is much better (even if the truth is not a great option).

So I went to see the Dr of all things broken that need to be mended. Good news is that I can be mended. Even better news is that it does not require a cast and even better than that .... well hold on.

Here is an elbow with the break I have highlighted:


if you click on it I think it gets really big :)

My xray was not able to be acquired by me to show you the real break so you will just have to accept the one above.

So here is the good news ... it is on the radial head of the radius (funny I know) but if you were going to break a bone that is the best one to break in the elbow. Yeah for me, right? Hey hold your horses it is still a break and it still hurts like the dickens!

Good becasue of two things.
  1. This bone is actually sheltered by muscle, tendons and ligaments.
  2. It will let you know when to stop moving it. 
Bad because of two things
  1. The bone is actually connected to these muscles, tendons and ligaments and when you rotate your arm it controls that.
  2. It will let you know that it is broken. 
Hmm those almost seem the same Philip, how is that good? Good in the fact that I have that hairline fracture and I do not need anything but the sling.



Yes .... the angels above are singing and playing in the snow down here. I DO NOT NEED THIS STUPID TEMPORARY CAST anymore. It actually has been detrimental for the last 6 days and done more damage than good. I have lost more of my range of motion already in the elbow due to this.

Wait I have a break in the bone. Well a fracture ... yes the bone is broken but not like that. So this break, because of where it is and what it does to protect itself, is a prime bone if you break one.  (make a mental note that even though the Dr of mending bones broken said that ... I personally do not suggest it ... seriously skip it ... just don't break it or any bone!)

With any break in the elbow there is always going to be loss of range of motion. Quite frequently it does not all come back. With what I have I need to only follow the steps below.
  1. Listen to the pain (going to get a stethoscope and learn what pain sounds like)
  2. Let pain control the range of motion (I can move without most pain in many non rotational directions ... once I begin to move arm rotational wise - rolling wrist - then pain hits the ceiling, slaps me on the face as it comes back down while screaming in my ear DON'T DO THAT!)
  3. Challenge that pain slowly (umm OK ... sure ... slowly is a good word)
  4. It will take 8 weeks to properly heal ... keep strain off of the arm during at least the first 4 weeks (that is when follow up is to see if physical therapy is necessary) [let me tell you that if I try and do anything with this arm right now like pick up a sweater it lets me know that is a no no!]
  5. Wear sling out in public for at least 2-3 more weeks (it makes people feel sorry for you and buy you stuff like lunches, a new Lexus, women are more sympathetic, but most importantly people give you space and that is what you need as jostling your arm in a crowd could send you to the ground again .... sorry doc you lost me I was still on the women are sympathetic statement)
  6. Move the arm. 
  7. Come back on the 9th of February in the morning for follow up. 
  8. Take pain meds as needed (well I think I can follow that one ... really ... then again if they make pain go away how will I ... don't over-think Philip just do).
  9. If pain radiates up in shoulder and to wrist more that just as an instantanteous response to a motion get in to Dr. who mends broken bones office ASAP (don't worry about that one I will be waiting for you to open ... hmm but he has two offices and I need to make sure what one he will be showing up at).
  10. Take a shower without any restrictions (OK that one is purely for me and I made that one up).

When it hurts put it in a sling ... don't rush it yet don't do nothing with it. I think I can handle that. As a matter of fact I am using two sets of fingers to type on this keyboard and that makes things so much easier.  I will not kid you that as much as I am in joy about this I am concerned as the pain when certain movements are taken is breathtaking and not as in the beauty of a wonderful sight or exquisite meal but actually removing my breath and replacing it with the desire to scream out loud. But that is fleeting.




So that is where I am today. I had a feeling I would be like this ... half hoped that this would not be the case as I know me and my need to challenge what is being asked of me, but humility is the lesson to be learned in all this I think.

Peace and love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." – Buddha