Monthly Affirmation

may I be I is the only prayer - not may I be great or good or beautiful or wise or strong. ~e.e. cummings

Monday, November 23, 2009

Lets Eat!



One of my wonderful cyber friends has thrown down a challenge to recipes we love for the holiday season. I said I would and thought and thought about it. There are classics that my mother would cook this time of the year that would take me back home to Frettenham England. There is shortbread, sausage rolls, mince meat pies, all types of tarts and one that I used to run away from but now totally enjoy ... a good English fruit cake with marzipan and royal icing.

I look at that list and it is all desserts, or wonderfully not good for you. But my cooking does not usually involve the sweet spectrum of the cooking world but rather the simple love of fresh food. Roasted vegetables are a dish that I took to a communal Thanksgiving celebration a couple of years ago with turnips, parsnips, portabella mushroom wedges, sweet onions and a few other root vegetables in it. The people around me had not tried many of these and I thought what a wonderful chance to allow someone a chance to try something new for their palate.

Today I will give you Sam Choy's reciepe for baked sweet potatoes. I wanted to have enough time in my schedule to accompany with pictures but have ran out. So later my friends. Now this is a big dish so modify as needed.

Baked Sweet Potatoes 

1 pound of butter
6 pounds of sweet potatoes, pre cooked and then thinly sliced
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 cup raisins or currants
Salt and pepper (sea salt is my preferred choice)

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
4 ounces of coconut syrup

oven temp 350

Rub casserole dish with butter and then lay the sliced sweet potato in it. Dab some butter, sugar, raisins and salt.pepper. Toss this all in the over to start the madness of sweet cooking for about 40 minutes.

When we get close the end of that cycle grab the last three ingredients on the list and combine them with whatever butter you have not already used to make a crumble topping. Place this on top of the dish and bake until golden brown for about another 30-40 minutes.

Then enjoy.

A little bit of Kalua turkey, some tossed salad and voila I would need nothing else.

Healthy? Well with all that butter and sugar maybe not but this is the time of year to indulge just a little bit.

2 comments:

  1. oh, wow... my mouth is watering just reading about it, i love sweet potatoes so i am not doubt trying this one, glad you played along, this is kinda fun huh :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is delicious. Yes this is mui fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

.

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." – Buddha