Monthly Affirmation

may I be I is the only prayer - not may I be great or good or beautiful or wise or strong. ~e.e. cummings

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Face your dislikes

**WARNING** needles and blood discussed below



I saw the vampire today. It is not that I do not like the vampire I just have never been the biggest fan of the needle being shoved into my body. I think the IV incidents when I had my appendix rupture was the catalyst for this dislike.

But ... I often just don't pay attention. But today I watched my vampire (I asked her why she was not wearing her vampire scrubs as she could get away with it at this time of the year. Her response what that the boss was not for that. Oh well.) slide that needle into my arm and then I listened. I never do that. I listened and watched in amazement as the blood shot into the back of this vial and churned around filling it up. Then we switched to another vial and the churning was not as intense but that color of red was so captivating.

The human body continues to amaze me daily. I had forgotten some of my biology lessons about the contact with air amplifying the color and the pressure within the veins. Although facing high blood pressure every day you would think I would understand. That the body can feel a tinge of pain at the insertion of a needle but the pain diminishes almost immediately for me. There are so many wonderous aspects of the human machine that we should face out dislikes and look beyond that into what we can learn.

Well I think so.

1 comment:

  1. i agree, our bodies are amazing... all that goes into keeping us alive huh?

    ReplyDelete

.

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." – Buddha